Hanibal and I completed the floor tile in the kitchen, the little office space (closet), and the half bath under the stairs:
There was a problem area between the kitchen floor and the bathroom floor; the kitchen slab is three-inches-thick and the bathroom slab (poured with the living room) is four-inches-thick. I absolutely hate the tiny steps that are so common in local construction. You have to watch when you are going from room to room because there is frequently a little trip-over inch or so. To resolve our issue, Hanibal and I built a gentle ramp at the transition. You hardly even notice it:
Christine in Oregon and Lynn in Ohio take note: the bathroom under the stairs is getting closer to completion:
We grouted the angle wall at the staircase. It looks really sharp:
Next we moved into the bedroom pod (two containers separated by a twelve-foot stick built space). We laid out a forty-foot-long row of tiles and adjusted them east-to-west to get the best layout for each room, hallway, and doorway. This took a while but when we were satisfied, we snapped a chalk line guide. We did the same floor leveling that we did in the kitchen and then mortared the row of tiles into place along the chalk line.
In the next photo we have progressed beyond that single row of tile, but you can see how useful it was to have this guide to provide a floor pattern that flows through the spaces:
Hanibal’s brother Bolivar has been helping us a few days a week when we need an extra hand mixing and hauling. Here he is sifting sand:
After the long row of tiles, we moved into the walk-in closet:
Next up was the second bedroom (east end of the bedroom pod):
In the next photo I’m marking a tile at the edge of the landing to the second bedroom so that I can cut the edge profile. Here I have overlapped one tile on top of another. Then I set the dividers (they were my grandfather’s) for the amount of overlap plus a tad. Then, keeping the dividers in line with the tile, I scribe along the wall contour:
Then I cut the tile. I have a new tile saw — my old one died. I think that August has also been National Tool Die Off Month as this month it was the tile saw, a saber saw, the switch on my reciprocating saw went bad, and one or two others tools died that I can’t remember right now. I hate to have to replace these tools so near to the end of the project. Here I am at the new tile saw:
Looking for something else to do, we tackled the laundry room. On day-one we laid the floor. On day-two we moved the machines onto the completed floor and tackled the wall and the elevated base for the machines:
After the laundry is finished and grouted, we’ll move into the (Christine in Oregon and Lynn in Ohio take note) master bathroom. This is the first time we have seen this space in a few years as it has been filled to the brim with boxes of possessions. Too much stuff!
There is a lot to do in this bathroom – wall tiles, floor tiles, two glass block divider walls, and Armando will make a partial wall of stones. Plus I still need to cut out the container siding at the end of the room and install a glass block window wall as we did in the kitchen:
In the last bit of current tile news, Elmec had a 15% off sale last Sunday so we ordered tile for the front steps. The main tiles are the same ones that are on the stairway wall in the living room. We also bought some large, square, dark gray tiles that I will cut into strips to make a border at the front of each step; the steps are difficult to see so the edging will delineate the edge of each step:
Cynthia has been burning the midnight electricity, keeping her kiln filled and cooking glass for the lamp shades in the kitchen. Just as she had a learning curve with how much powdered/colored glass to use to get her desired color, she also had a learning curve for slumping the lamp shades over the form. Trial and error then success is pretty much the only way to go about this process. She had to take into account the thickness of the glass plus the time-duration and temperature of each of the eight segments of the approximately ten-hour slumping in the kiln.
Here is a sheet of glass in the kiln, resting on top of the form that the glass will slump over:
Her first attempt tore the glass — too much heat and too long at the slumping stage:
The next photo shows another almost-but-not-quite attempt (the front-left one refused to drop her arms and the glass split). The one on the front-right is the torn one. The three others were successes. Now she has the electronic controller programmed correctly and she can go ahead with the remainder of the ten lamp shades. After she has all the shades finished, I will need to drill a hole in the top of each shade and install a socket and cord. Stay tuned:
Armando has finished one portion of the rock work border at the east side of the driveway. Here he has all the stones in place plus form work for the concrete topping:
And here is the curb all done:
And finishing off this post is a pretty hibiscus: