Before we could pour the front walkway floor, I had to complete the small section of roof over the walkway. With the roof done, if it rained while we were pouring the floor, we would be covered. The geometry of this small roof section follows the walkway floor below:
Here is the roof section with the zinc panels installed and the support column cut off at the roofline:
Now we can pour the walkway. Oops, wait a minute. Any water that runs off the new roof section will spill onto the carport roof. And because there is no gutter on the carport roof, the water will drip onto the fresh concrete below. I gotta go get a gutter and install it. Common practice here is to use a four-inch PVC thin-walled tubing as a gutter. You snap a chalkline the length of the pipe, then cut along the line with a saw. I found that the saber saw made quick work of the cut, although most installers will just use a handsaw. Here neighbor Tomas came to my rescue, helping me spread the pipe and set it over the end of the roofing panels:
Here is the gutter all installed. I still have to deal with the lower end of the downspout to make it plumb on the wall:
Armando and I spent the good part of a day setting rebar and forms and then… Finally, finally I say again, we are ready to pour the top step/front walkway to the front door. Armando and I and two extra men, Elia and Manuelilto, repeated the 5:45 a.m. start to make the pour. I won’t show you again how they filled the wheelbarrows. Suffice it to say that today we used a mere 24 wheelbarrows of sand and gravel and a dozen sacks of cement:
Jabo is very confused. This new concrete changes all his usual “crossings.” But he doesn’t try to carve his initials into the wet concrete. Not even once. Good dog, Jabo.
At the end of the day, Cynthia and I stepped back and reveled in the fact that we can now drive into the carport, unload groceries or whatever, and walk to the front door and into the house, all under cover and out of the rain. Today was truly a red letter day!
I also spent a day cutting and installing flat stock to the outside of the clerestory windows. I applied a good coat of primer to all the window metal so now I am ready to install those four windows. When I get the time.
That’s all for now. I haven’t decided what’s next…