Tiling Columns ~ Three Down, Two To Go

The three front columns are done. We are happy with the way they turned out; natural, earthy, significantly-sized to go with the house but not ostentatious. We’ve started thinking about light fixtures on the gate columns, but nothing yet design-wise. The gate still needs a couple coats of house-trim-color paint. Here are the columns all grouted and cleaned and the construction junk all picked up:

Remember those plant pot pieces that we poured about six weeks ago?

We hauled them out of the container and have started assembling them on top of the knee wall in the carport. My plan of using screws and plastic anchors failed miserably; the concrete cracked and split when the screws expanded the anchors; there just wasn’t enough concrete mass to contain the anchors. Plan B is to make bolts that go through the pots, a washer and nut on each side of the pot. I bought some threaded rod and am welding pieces of the rod to either end of a piece of rebar. Labor intensive but cheaper than using all threaded rod. In the next photo I have yet to drill holes and install the bolts. Can’t wait to see bamboo growing in the pots:

Today I started tiling the first of the two carport flying buttress columns:

I was stymied for a while as to what to do with the narrow sides of the columns. They are about a tile and a half wide. I wasn’t happy with my first thought of a full tile and a half tile, alternating up the wall. It didn’t fit with the stacked look of all the other tile work. After a few nights of dreaming on the subject, I decided to cut tiles in half and use all half tiles. I think it is well proportioned and looks great. Reminds me of subway tiles:

I’ve drilled holes for the plant pot bolts and have a couple bolts in place. Only sixteen more to weld and install…

Armando has been busy working on the window frames and security bars, grinding welds smooth and painting the first coat of primer. No photo, but all the windows for container 4 are now ready for us to install when weather permits. He also prime painted all the un-primed welds under the carport roof.

So bit by bit, we are getting a lot of the unfinished projects checked off the list. Next month I plan to work on Cynthia’s studio spaces so she can move her seed beads, hot-glass bead making, and sewing supplies to their new homes.

The next photo shows a slab next to my shop. This will be her hot glass studio. It is 5’x13′, large enough for her bench, kiln, oxygen and propane tanks, and glass rod storage. I’ll build walls at the outside of the slab.

She sure is looking forward to being able to work in studios that aren’t termite and spider infested like her current studios. And she won’t miss the gecko that lives (and poops) directly above her torch, nor the high-pitched whining roar of the dozens of two-stroke motorcycles that scream past our current house, only eight feet from her glass bead making studio.

That’s all for now.




3 thoughts on “Tiling Columns ~ Three Down, Two To Go

  1. The Flying Buttress tiles are fit for a museum or commercial building. Looks stately. Nice.
    Unless Panama has pygmy bamboo, their shoots will soon be growing beyond the carport roof. Oh well Armando can keep them cut back : )

    • Meanwhile, I’m taking all the soda can pop tops that have accumulated at the job site, and all the cat food lid pull rings and am designing a chandelier for over the new dining room table. The current plan (always subject to change!) is to make a cut on the big hole area of the rings and weave them together, kind of like chain mail. I’ll combine the two sized rings to look like clouds with an uneven bottom, and will wire wrap clear faceted glass beads to fill in those areas to make it look like rain drops. Photos of WIP to follow. Today I sorted, washed the rings, then managed to blister a few fingers cutting the rings with Fred’s wire cutters. Lots more cuts to make on the little rings before I can start. Good evening project while semi-watching TV.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.